Tuesday, January 6, 2015

26 July 2014

An anecdote on an event that led to the UK

A few months back I had a meeting with the president of the university I attend. He wanted to congratulate me and my friend for getting to go abroad to study. I was excited for the meeting. Unfortunately, the meeting fell during finals prep and I was up until four the previous evening. I had no time to shower, no time to truly style my hair. I had to just throw on a dress some make-up and wing it. Of course, a picture of me in this state was taken for posterity and that photo was spread far and wide on the Internet. Kind of humbling. What marked me about the president was how interpersonal he was with my friend and me. He had us do most of the talking and tried to really listen to our answers and plans. He told us what he hoped we would gain from the trip and what he hoped we would bring back from the experience to the university- but that is going to be its own separate post. What I appreciated the most is he met with us for over half an hour. Several faculty members told us that most people got a seven minute meeting and eleven minutes if you or the situation were important. This information made me applaud him. It was one of the sometimes too rare moments with university administration where I felt top priority as a student. It was refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment